In the current digital and remote work landscape, businesses have recognized the heightened significance of employee experience. In a recent employee experience survey, 9 of 10 employees list employee experience as a top priority when it comes to post-pandemic success. By prioritizing employee experience, employers can cultivate a workforce that is more productive, engaged, and committed. This results in direct benefits to both employers and employees.
What Is Employee Experience?
Employee experience encompasses all the interactions that a worker has with their employer, such as the physical workplace, organizational culture, managerial approach, technological resources, and the overall work atmosphere.
BetterUp describes employee experience as being subjective stating that “it is the holistic impact of the job and the organization on the individual — how employees feel, perceive their potential and abilities, and the effect on their well-being.”
Why Is Employee Experience So Important Now?
With so many employers focused on improving employee experience, you may be wondering, “why now”? Many factors have contributed to this being a priority within organizations.
- Employee Expectations Have Changed: In today’s workforce, employees are looking for more than just a paycheck. They want meaningful work, support from their employer, and a positive work-life balance. Employers who prioritize these needs have a better chance of attracting and retaining top talent.
- Remote Work Has Become The Norm: COVID-19 has forced many companies to adopt remote work policies, which means employers need to find new ways to keep their employees engaged and connected. Companies that invest in virtual team-building activities, communication technologies, and flexible work options will have happier and more productive remote employees.
- Advancements In Technology Require Adaptation: Technology has changed the way we work, and employees want access to the latest tools and software. Employers who invest in modern technology not only make their employees’ jobs easier but also demonstrate a commitment to their employees’ success and growth.
- Health And Wellness Have Become Priorities: The pandemic has brought health and wellness to the forefront of everyone’s mind, and employees are looking for employers who prioritize their well-being. Companies that offer wellness programs, flexible work options, and mental health resources will have healthier, happier, and more productive employees.
- Diversity and Inclusion Are Top of Mind: The events of 2020 have highlighted the importance of diversity and inclusion in the workplace. Employees want to work for companies that value diversity, provide equal opportunities, and promote a culture of respect and inclusivity.
What Can You Do To Provide World-Class Employee Experience?
To attract and retain top talent, companies must prioritize employee experience. Here are some ideas for improving the employee experience and work culture:
- Build 360 Feedback Cycles: Your employees should know that their voice matters. Creating frequent opportunities for employees to contribute their perspectives is essential to employee satisfaction and engagement. At Jarvis, we create these opportunities through executive coffee chats, offered as an opportunity for employees to connect to ask questions and share ideas, monthly anonymous Q&A where employees are invited to ask any questions they have for the team, quarterly anonymous employee engagement surveys as a chance to share detailed feedback, and through our mid and year-end reviews. We foster bidirectional open conversations that provide feedback to both parties.
- Create Flexibility For Your Teams: Flexibility is becoming increasingly important to employees and can be the difference between a candidate choosing your company, or another. At Jarvis, some of the ways we offer our teams flexibility include a flexible PTO program to ensure our team has the chance to take deserved time off whenever they feel they need it; a hybrid working model where employees can choose which days they would like to be remote vs in office; and employees being able to take up to 4 weeks a year to work remotely from anywhere in the world.
- Provide Meaningful Work Opportunities: People have become more invested in finding jobs that allow them to make a difference through their work. Making sure your employees have a chance to connect to your organization’s mission and be involved in making an impact is a great way to increase satisfaction. At Jarvis, our mission is to equalize opportunity and maximize potential. During our hiring process, we ensure employees understand this mission inside and out. We work with individuals to understand how their contributions help us accomplish this! We also regularly share testimonials from people whose lives Jarvis has been able to make an impact on to show our teams in real-time how they are directly making this positive impact. Outside of day-to-day work, we invite our teams to make an impact in our community through volunteer opportunities at charitable organizations closely linked to our own mission.
Every organization is unique and employee experience should reflect this! Developing your own employee experience practices can be done by creating opportunities for your team to share their feedback, focusing on flexibility and seeing your employees as people first, and making sure your employees can make an impact through their work. In the ever-evolving corporate landscape, stay ahead of the game by prioritizing an employee experience that sets you apart.
People Experience Manager
As a People Experience Manager at Jarvis, Taylor is responsible for fostering excellent client experiences as well as managing internal employee engagement & culture.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE:
Jarvis is a leading IT consulting firm headquartered in Canada that provides total talent solutions with ongoing partnerships across North America’s top financial institutions, cutting-edge startups, and major technology companies.
SHARE THIS ARTICLE:
Stay In The Loop
Like what you read? Enter your information below to be notified about valuable content, upcoming events, and other trending tech information.